The domestic electricity meter basically consists of two important coils for its working.
- The voltage coil
- The current coil
- The voltage coil is connected in parallel to the load and the current coil is connected in series to the load.
- The load herein refers to the appliances that consume electricity.
- When power passes through these coils, a magnetic field is produced which induces an electro magnetic field in the rotor disc.
- As a result of this magnetic field, eddy currents are produced in the rotor disc.
- An opposing magnetic field is produced by the permanent stator magnets, which results in rotation of the rotor disc.
- The disc rotates according to the power consumed by the consumer unit.