ss_blog_claim=726e70d7c87c20ae33aa7a61f06eb8aa

Thursday, May 29, 2008

Driving stepper motor using ULN2003

The simplest way to drive stepper motor having lower current rating is using ULN2003. The ULN2003 contains seven darlington transistors. The ULN2003 can pass upto 500mA per channel and has an internal voltage drop of about 1V when on. It also contains internal clamp diodes to dissipate voltage spikes when driving inductive loads. The circuit for driving stepper motor using ULN2003 is shown below.

For higher current torque motors, you can use TIP120. The advantage is that the TIP120 can pass more current along with heat sink. The disadvantages are that the more wiring is required and four TIP120 is used to control the motor.

11 comments:

Mohd Firdaus Bin Rahiman said...

Dear Ganesh, How do I send signals from my computer via the serial port? Which pin corresponds to what? Does hyperterminal work?

Ankit Jain said...

hey hi ! can you tell me what is the voltage and power rating of the zener diode you are using ??
its important... plz reply !!!!
ankitj.pec@gmail.com

Pranay said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pranay said...

Nice and informative post.....I was not aware of the TIP120 IC's until i read abt them at ur blog.

Regards,
Pranay
www.pranaysharma.in

jt said...

i'm using a uln2003 to drive my stepper motor but i need more torque. If I used the tip120, would it help?

Unknown said...

You could also just "piggyback" two uln2003a for 1 amp. Just solder one on top of the other.

Unknown said...

I have a step motor that works with 2.1AMP / 2.5V.
My question is... could I piggyback FOUR (4) uln2003A to work with this motor?
Thanks regards from Argentina.

Unknown said...

I have been using the same circuit as described in the figure above. But the motor does not seem to run, it is just vibrating.
Details
Unipolar Stepper Motor USM-28BJY48-12VDC
Stepper Motor driving IC= ULN2003A
I'm not using pull resistor in the driving circuit.
I connected LED to the input of the ULN2003A the input is in proper sequence
I'm applying 12 v [The power supply is made by using 12v Transformer, 500mA, voltage regulator L7812CV]
can any one tell me where i'm going wrong in driving the motor.

PT said...

how to interface a stepper motor to8051 using uln2003driver ic?what does the use of 9th pin in in uln2003

dearmaths said...

Dear Ganesh Please tell me some circuit to run a 3 phase brushless motor and hardisk motor.
D.Vasu Raj,
vraj626@gmail.com

Unknown said...

hi ganesh , do you have any solution for connecting motor shield with grbl